Happily?

11:30:00 PM Valencia Ng 0 Comments

I saw him from the distance, from such a crowd
He has buggy eyes, for sure
Maybe that's all I can remember from that first meeting
I gave him a huge hug and a kiss on his cheek
He seemed like he just cried, his mouth pouted,
Those big eyes that will make you fall in love, immediately
I tried to find any, any resemblance in his face
Does he look like his father? Or his mother?
I've tried my best to hold back my feelings
From any of the flashback that would follow
.
I remember when we were so much younger
We played in your living room
We used to pretend those couch were islands
And the floor was an ocean full of sharks
We would jump and jump 'til we were exhausted
Or do you remember when you were so angry with me
And you didn't want us to take a nap in the same room?
Or when you came to my house and I would leave you
as you wandered around in that old music shop?
I remember us laying on my parents' bed
My hands were playing with the pink curtains
We imagined what if one day we met a prince
I asked you if you ever believe in one
The prince with the white horse and a shining armor!
But he didn't wear shining armor, he wore suit and tie
I told you about the guy that I met whom I fell in love with
I told you that he was like prince charming to me
How gentleman he was, but you didn't buy it
We were always dreaming about the happy ending
How will it be? How he's going to be like?
You told me all of the guys who were after you
You see, since the very beginning you were the popular one
And I, the hopeless romantic one,  who always hopelessly in love
with all the ones who were out of my reach
Later in life, we don't say much
We don't meet much, as we grow up
And even if we grow in same place, I never ask you again
.
I saw him again and his buggy eyes
His tiny hands wrapped around my fingers
You put him on your lap and gave him his favorite toy
"do you still remember the princes charming we imagined?"
"will you tell him those fairytales?"
I tried my best not to ask, and I looked at him again
maybe happy endings are really different than what we thought, after all
maybe life happened and sometimes all you can do is not to wish,
but to be grateful in each and every step
maybe the happily ever after is overrated,
though every inch of my heart wishes for your happiness
and maybe, just maybe,
we grew up.

0 comments:

Tell me anything